Re: Talk on radial gradients

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 23:06:22 -0500
To: David Perrell <davidp@hpaa.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
I'm working on a second draft right now, and need to know something.
Which of these two images is preferable?

http://www.xanthir.com/test-gradient.php?shape=skewellipse&width=200&height=200&start=ffff00&end=0000ff
http://www.xanthir.com/test-gradient.php?shape=quarter-circle&width=200&height=200&start=ffff00&end=0000ff

The first is a simply skew transformation, identical to what you'd get
from -webkit-gradient() if it didn't have a strange bug when the
start-circle was outside of the ending-circle.  It starts with a
0-radius yellow circle in the top-left, then gradually moves down and
right until it becomes a blue circle centered in the middle with
diameter equal to half the box diagonal.  The second is a
quarter-circle centered at the top-left and with radius equal to the
box diagonal.

I'm trying to decide if being able to specify the starting-position is
useful or not.  You can play with it to see if it ends up being useful
by altering the query params on the following link:

http://www.xanthir.com/test-gradient.php?shape=skewellipse&width=300&height=200&start=ffff00&end=0000ff&start_x=50&start_y=50

If not (as I'm suspecting), I'm going to drop the idea in general, and
instead allow you to specify a side or corner to do a half-ellipse and
quarter-ellipse.