Re: Image sprites use cases

Brad Kemper wrote:
> Not so much. If I specify 'url(image.png), there is an 'invisible' value
> that tells you the path to that file (it resolves to the path to the CSS
> file being prepended to this file name). What I am suggesting is that
> when a path and/or filename is provided already, that it be used to
> resolve any naked hash value, in a similar manner.

I'm not sure what you mean by "already".  In Gecko, for example,
matching rules are effectively sorted by descending specificity, then
for any particular property you walk along the list until you come to a
rule that specifies that property.  Once you find one, you stop.  You
don't look at the rest of the rules in the list.

Your proposal would require walking more of the list in various
situations, no?  It's not clear to me how much more given the vagueness
of the proposal so far...  Worst-case, it would require walking the
whole list in cases where right now you can stop as soon as you get to
the first specified value.

In practice, the "stop as soon as you find a value" optimization is
pretty important, from what I've seen.

-Boris