Re: Image sprites use cases

On Aug 30, 2009, at 5:27 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Brad Kemper wrote:
>> .xp .checkbox.normal.small { background-image: url(xp/checkbox/
>> small.png#xywh=0,0,10,10); }
>> .true{ background-image: url(#xywh=25,0,10,10); }
>> That is, the hash part (#xywh=25,0,10,10) only changes the area
>> within the image, it does not change which file is loaded from the
>> server.
>
> That would break backwards compatibility; right now the latter is
> clearly pointing to the base URI of the stylesheet, per all the
> relevant URI RFCs...

But since the URL of the stylesheet is not an especially useful thing
to hang a hash value (or whatever that's actually called) on, I was
thinking it would be more like the path and filename would form
something like a "base URL" for a property, once it was assigned to
that property to indicate an image file. If CSS declared this to be
the case, would it really be a problem for the RFCs or any existing
style sheets?