Re: Image sprites use cases

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:20:49 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Alex Kaminski <activewidgets@gmail.com>, www-style@w3.org
On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>wrote:

> (I'll note quickly that my favorite, and I think generally the best
> solution, is the one being created by the Media Fragments WG where
> they're defining one form of hash on links to image files.  Using frex
> "image.png#xywh=0,40,20,20" would select a 20x20 region, starting on
> the left edge, 40px from the top.

The problem with that approach is that it doesn't degrade gracefully for
browsers without the feature.

We've just landed a feature on Gecko trunk for image values of the form
-moz-image-rect(image.png,0,40,20,20), which does allow graceful
degradation, e.g.
background: url(image-small-05.png);
background: -moz-image-rect(image.png,0,40,20,20);

But we may need to add some other feature to support Alex's use case.

Rob
53:5-6]