Re: [css3-mediaqueries] device-* media features are actively harmful

From: Andi Sidwell <andi@takkaria.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:39:38 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
fantasai wrote:
> Andi Sidwell wrote:
[snip rationale]
>> As a result, it would be good if the spec was changed to either remove
>> device-*, or define when as equivalent to their non-device-*
>> counterparts for backwards-compat.
>
> I'm not convinced we should do that, but perhaps the spec can include a note
> explaining that in most cases, authors should be avoiding the device-*
> features unless they really need to query the device for something. Tutorials
> on Media Queries should either leave out the device-* queries (and let people
> who really need them look them up elsewhere), or mention them along with a
> warning that they should not be used in the general case.

I've had a dig through the mail archives, and I don't seem to be able to
find any reasons why accessing the device-* queries would ever be useful
(or any justification for their addition).  I notice this happened in
the 2002 draft, so I guess it was before the CSSWG moved into public.
Any pointers as to what the benefits are?

In any case, I think that including a marker in the spec and hoping for
the best isn't really going to help anyone here.

--
Andi Sidwell