Re: Repeating gradients (Was: Re: Talk on radial gradients)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:24:53 -0500
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: David Perrell <davidp@hpaa.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Brad Kemper<brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is something that should be consistent with linear gradients. If I say
> that I want a 45% angle, does that assume a square that can be resized to a
> non-square, thus changing the angle dependent on the aspect ratio of the
> background area? So far, we have been assuming that even though the "image"
> would be sized to all different dimensions, that the angle and the fixed
> lengths would stay constant.

Correct - that has been my assumption, modulo you changing the ratio
with background-size.

> Perhaps we should just have a keyword to indicate if that is true or not. If
> not, then 45% becomes the same as 'bottom left to top right', and could be
> written much shorter. The same word would control if the shape was a circle
> or an oval (if only one radius is given, or no degrees). Background-size
> would do all the heavy lifting.

Note that in linear-gradient() I've gone ahead and eliminated to "to
<bg-positon>" bit, so it's just "top left".

However, I don't like making the image-generating function depend on
things specified outside of it.  That means that the exact same
gradient code (or whatever) works differently based on context.  I
want to avoid that if possible.