Re: [CSS21] display:run-in clarifications

On 8/26/2009 1:24 AM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> I like the text too but I will ask the dumb question: what is the
> core set of text cases for run-ins ? Clearly, this results in boxes
> becoming inline or block depending on the context but I'm not 100%
> clear on what problem it solves ?

It allows headings to run into paragraphs while allowing the two to
remain in separate elements. I can't provide an example right now, but I
know I've wanted to do it multiple times in the past.

Ex: |h1| ... |h6| runs into |p|

Another example, might be to run definition terms into definition
description elements as if they were part of a single paragraph but
keeping the two types of content separate via their appropriate
elements. I've seen this done in glossaries at the end of books. It's
pretty much the same thing except with different elements.

Ex: |dt| runs into |dd|

(You can do this by using |dfn| and |p|, but that doesn't allow as much
flexibility as far as layouts go.)

A similar case could be made for dialog elements which are pretty much
identical to definition list elements.

Ex: |dt| runs into |dd|

(I'm still at a bit of a loss as to why we need a separate group of
dialog elements if they're virtually the same, but maybe they've been
differentiated or removed since I checked the HTML 5 spec ages ago.)