Re: [CSS3, border-radius] and now is real fun.

Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
> Zack Weinberg wrote:
> > Mozilla has no current plans to implement anything but sharp
> > transitions in the middle of the corner. I would argue that that is
> > clearly preferable to "always draw the corner as solid", no matter
> > what the adjoining styles are.
> >
> dotted to dashed transition is probably not that difficult  to
> imagine. If to close our eyes on complexity of rasterisation in this
> case.

If, for any pair of border settings, it is too complicated to do a
gradual transition, do a sharp transition in the middle of the corner.
What is the problem?

> I am speaking about cases like transition from dotted to double line
> as Brad mentioned. Strictly speaking it is even physically impossible
> on pixel grids of finite size. Or at least it should be some unknown
> yet non-trivial morphing rules.

"Physically impossible" ??!  See attached -- maybe someone could come
up with something more elegant, but it is a gradual transition between
"dotted" and "double" that could easily be implemented in software.  I
just took the obvious transition from "double" to "solid" and used it
to clip a transition from "dotted" to "solid" in the opposite direction.

It seems to me that you are, at the same time, making this sound much
harder than it is, and objecting to an obvious and easy fallback.  Why?

zw