RE: Talk on radial gradients

From: David Perrell <davidp@hpaa.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:27:36 -0700
To: "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>

?

| I'm not clear on how an angle defines the shape of an ellipse.  Is
| this a standard way of defining it?  Can you point me at some math
| explaining it?

It's the standard way to describe an ellipse for drafting. I have stacks of 'ellipse guides' (templates)[1] for drawing ellipses, in angular increments of 5 or 10 degrees. It's the angular view of a circle in isometric projection.[2]

Another way to describe the shape is eccentricity, which is 0 for a circle and 1 for a line.[3]

| Can you give me an example or two of the proposed syntax?

I'll see what I can do.

- davidp

[1] templates: http://www.alvinco.com/shopping/default_sale_0_cat_117
[2] explanation of sorts: http://www.techdrawingtools.com/14/l1401.htm