Re: Repeating gradients (Was: Re: Talk on radial gradients)

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:53:02 -0700
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "robert@ocallahan.org" <robert@ocallahan.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com>

On Aug 25, 2009, at 8:23 AM, Simon Fraser wrote:

>>> An ending-circle is necessary if you're going to support repeating
>>> radial
>>> gradients, which I think we should. -moz-radial-gradient supports
>>> them, and
>>> they're pretty cool.
>>>
>>> Can you elaborate what you mean? Don't you get repeating radial
>>> gradients
>>> support regardless, via background-repeat and background-size? I
>>> wouldn't
>>> expect an ending circle to provide an intrinsic image dimension.
>>> Is that
>>> what you mean happens in firefox?
>>
>> Yes, please elaborate!  Do you mean supplying a color-stop list, and
>> then cycling through those stops infinitely?
>>
>> My syntax is *very much* shaped by my own experience with gradients.
>> If you've got more use-cases, please share them!
>
> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en/CSS/Gradients> has quite a few
> examples with
> repeating gradients.
>
> We should discuss whether background-repeat: no-repeat turns on
> gradient
> repeating mode, as Firefox has implemented.

That seems very unexpected to me. If I have background-repeat:no-
repeat, I would expect no repeating, just a single gradient image,
positioned via background-position, with background-color outside of
that. If I wanted the gradient to stop at a certain point and fill the
rest with color, I would do that via color-stops.