Re: [CSS3, Backgrounds and Borders Module] some questions about border-radius

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 23:03:08 -0700
To: Zack Weinberg <zweinberg@mozilla.com>
Zack Weinberg wrote:
> Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
>> "The transition must be contained within the segment of the border
>> where the tangent of the inner curve either not defined or is not
>> parallel with the sides of the box."
>>
>> It is not clear what does "tangent of the inner curve not defined"
>> mean exactly. Is it an attempt to define case #9 here? :
>>
>> http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/round-corners-sciter.png
>> (case: width of borders is larger than border radius)
>
> That's how I read it.  The tangent is undefined at a sharp corner.
> Thus, in your case #9, the gradients can extend to the points where the
> outer and inner edges become parallel lines again.
>
> Perhaps that's better wording?  Something like
>
>   The transition may not include any region of the border which is
>   visually "side" rather than "corner": formally, the transition may
>   not include any region where the inner and outer edges are parallel
>   straight lines.
>
> I'm having trouble coming up with words that are both unambiguous and
> plain, so I think a diagram would be helpful; maybe something like the
> attached SVG file.

Thanks for that but what about this case:

div.case10
       {
         width:10%;
         height:60px;
         border:30px solid;
         border-radius: 60px/20px;
       }
?

I am getting this (content updated):
http://www.terrainformatica.com/w3/round-corners-sciter.png

Cool of course but is the right way of doing this?

>> I believe that the only reasonable type of gradient here is so called
>> conic gradient. Probably it makes sense to define just that?
>
> I'd call that out of scope for Level 3.  There are several shipping
> implementations that do sharp transitions.

I am not asking to remove optionality of gradient.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com