Re: Gradient syntax proposal

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:27:39 -0700
To: "David Perrell" <davidp@hpaa.com>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>

On Aug 18, 2009, at 9:40 PM, David Perrell wrote:

> background: linear-gradient(-70deg / yellow 52px / blue 52px);
> .
> .
> background: linear-gradient(20px 30px to right 20px bottom 30px /
> yellow,
> blue);
> ---
>
> Neither example is an easy read - the first could get very difficult
> with
> many color stops.

So could the second. Oh wait, it already is.

I'm just thinking there would be times when you wanted a gradient a
fixed distance from the end, not just the beginning, not necessarily a
mirror of the beginning measurement, so it would be nice to have a way
to specify that without a lot of calc(), which is even harder to read.
A second slash version doesn't seem so bad for that. Basically just a
slash instead of a comma there.