Re: Gradient syntax proposal

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 12:39:08 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> I'm gradually coming around to Webkit's approach, which appears to be
> that "background" becomes a generic consumer for paint-servers, and
> can be applied to anything.  That's why Webkit has
> background-clip:text, which makes a background only fill the area that
> text normally does.  You could also add the value "border" to
> background-clip if you wanted to just fill the border region with a
> gradient.

I don't think we're going to adopt background-clip: text as the
solution for gradient/image-backed text. See
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Mar/0308.html
and Hyatt's response:
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0066.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Apr/0297.html