RE: Filling text with a gradient/image

From: David Perrell <davidp@hpaa.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 14:53:39 -0700
To: "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, "David Hyatt" <hyatt@apple.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "Andrew Fedoniouk" <news@terrainformatica.com>, "www-style list" <www-style@w3.org>
Brad Kemper wrote:
| How about something called "text-background" that has all all the
| background-* properties preceded by "text-"?

Text is foreground, normally colored with property foreground-color.
Text-background makes no sense. A subset of background properties should
suffice.

The effect would always clip to the text, so -clip can be dumped. The
question is, what is the default size of the 'image' that's being clipped?
I'd expect that for text-fill-clip it would be the content area. But there
would be times when a fill might need to be aligned with a background, and
you'd want it to occupy the same area.

David Perrell