Re: Gradient syntax proposal

From: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:37:40 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Aug 14, 2009, at 4:13 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
wrote:

> I'd drop the combination keywords, because you can write them
> as <bg-position>. (top-left vs top left is not an improvement,
> just makes things more confusing).

I'd much rather drop bg-position (in case you couldn't tell by now)
and just have one word to say what direction to fill the box
(sometimes implied by the name of a side or corner, sometimes the
other way around), and no more than one "how far along that direction"
per color. That would take care of 99.999% of the author's needs and
be far, far simpler. I really can't see the compelling need to be able
to specify a starting position different from first color's position,
or an ending position different from the ending color's position. THAT
makes it much harder to read and more confusing.