From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:02:27 -0500
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:47 PM, fantasai<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:02 PM, fantasai<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
>> wrote:
>>> Sounds like a case for making <gradient> separate from <image>.
>> As Brad mentioned, though, we already have *images* without intrinsic
>> dimensions in SVG.  How do we deal with those?  Are they unsuitable
>> for use in list-style-image, etc?
>> Whatever solution is used for SVG without intrinsic dimensions, an
>> identical solution should be applicable to gradients.
> Behavior for that, and cursors, and background images, and list-style-image
> is all in the CSS2.1 spec. (IIRC Anne filed the issue a year or two ago. ;)
> So we could just put it in <image>.

I knew we had something, I just didn't want to go look it up.  ^_^

> But I can see that in several places
> we'd want slightly different behavior for gradient()

Can you elaborate?  I'm not sure where we'd want to treat gradient()

> , or want to allow
> it in places where standard images are not allowed (e.g. border-color).

I can see a border-color use-case (we're basically talking about
-moz-border-colors, right?), but I'm not sure that we can't address
this.  I'd rather see things special-cased here.  Something like
"border-image: box-gradient(border-box, black, white 8px)" would
create the design here:
http://www.cssportal.com/css3-preview/borders.htm.  Or, hell, just say
that linear-gradient() *can* be given as a value to border-color,
where it has a special meaning (direction is ignored, 0% is the inner
edge of the border, 100% is outer edge of the border).

That's if border gradients are common enough that we want to hit them.
 Anyone know what the pickup is on -moz-border-colors?  Otherwise SVG
should be able to address this fine, right?  (I really need to learn
enough SVG to test this sort of stuff myself...)