Re: Gradients by angle (was Re: [CSSWG] Minutes and Resolutions 2009-08-12)

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:14 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org> wrote:

> Consider the image here:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2009Aug/att-0041/gradient.png
> In this image:
>  * the dark blue box is the boundary of the box
>  * the white->black area is the area covered by the gradient
>  * the red area is the area outside the gradient
>  * the line blue line is the ray given by your proposal
>
> Here, I use "top left" as the first position.  But unless the angle
> given is 45deg (or that plus some multiple of 90deg), a gradient in
> this square won't actually have the gradient area touch both
> corners.  In this example, the red area extends well into the box at
> the bottom right corner.

I don't see the problem here. This is what you asked for, and I think people
will ask for.

You can choose the following behaviours for the red region
-- fill with white --- specify color stops "black, white" and
background-repeat:no-repeat
-- fill with transparent (or any other color) --- specify color stops
"black, 100% white, rgba(0,0,0,0)" and background-repeat:no-repeat
-- repeat with black to white --- color stops "black, white" and
background-repeat:repeat (default)

Rob
53:5-6]