Andrey Mikhalev <amikhal@abisoft.spb.ru> wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>
> > Yes, that's what is intended.  I don't see a problem.  With or
> > without my changes,
> >
> >  S { P : url(-my-hack()); }
> >
> > is a syntax error (specifically, a "malformed declaration"), so the
>
> wrong. currently it is _not_ syntax error but correct
> function(expr) (vendor extension), which should be recovered as
> unknown functional notation by unaware UA.
> your change turn it into syntactically incorrect construction,
> i.e. not a css.

You are making a distinction without a difference.  There is no CSS2.1
property for which "url(-my-hack())" is a well-formed value, so the
declaration will be discarded, before and after my proposal.
Anything that triggers ยง4 error recovery is a syntax error, is my way
of thinking about it.

If some subsequent CSS module wishes to add new variations on url(), we
can worry about it then. I earnestly hope this never happens.

zw