Re: Shadows vs. layout

From: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 15:42:53 -0700
To: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>
Bert Bos wrote:
> I didn't see the following argument mentioned yet. (Sorry if somebody
> did and I missed it.)
>
> The size of a shadow is unpredictable when the shadow is blurry. We
> don't define the precise algorithm for the blur, but I imagine the
> intensity of the shadow diminishes with something approximating a
> Gaussian curve. At some point, the shadow intensity will be less than
> can be expressed within the color depth of the screen, but where that
> point is is not easily known. The page author certainly can't predict
> it.

Yep, good one, Bert.
The same argument should apply to various anti-aliasing effects, e.g. on
fonts for example.
Each blur effect is in principle limited only by dimensions of the
Universe (13.5 billion light years or so).
I don't think that David would want to scroll it that far.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com