Re: Shadows vs. layout

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 07:56:46 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Brad Kemper wrote:

>> Ok, by trigger overflow I mean trigger scrolling. Content that overflows
>> a box doesn't affect the layout of elements outside the box, except
>> insofar as it triggers scrolling behavior.
>
> Well, I would think that if it is not affecting the layout/size of
> elements outside of itself, then it would also not affect the size
> layout of such element even if it was a BODY element or viewport. Ergo,
> it's parent would not be larger as a result, and would therefore not
> need to scroll anyway if it didn't before. Is not the scroll bar
> appearing as the result of some parent element getting wider? ANd if a
> parent element can get wider because of the overflow of a shadow or
> outline or border-image, then it can affect layout. That's the point I
> was trying to make, so correct me if there is some logical flaw to my
> argument that I am missing, please.

If I have content that overflows a fixed-size box

   </dpv>

or even an auto-height container

in both cases the content that overflows the box does not affect the
layout of content surrounding the <div>; as far as they're concerned
the <div>'s contents might as well not be there. But the overflowing
content is definitely part of the scrollable area.

~fantasai