RE: Shadows vs. layout

From: David Perrell <davidp@hpaa.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:38:37 -0700
To: "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Brad Kemper wrote:
| Me too. I would suggest we use "ink overflow" for anything described
| as having no affect on layout (defining what that means more
| precisely), provided it is not a property that can move content of the
| element it is applied to around (thus excluding positioning from this
| definition).

How do these visual effects differ from outlines re scroll? If "...an
outline doesn't influence the position or size of a box or of any other
boxes" and "...does not affect formatting (i.e., no space is left for it in
the box model)," surely an outline prompted by :hover or :focus should not
cause creation of scroll bars.

David Perrell