Re: Shadows vs. layout

On Aug 4, 2009, at 8:27 AM, David Perrell wrote:

> Sidle up the Blinkin Scroll Bar, folks, have a round on me.
>
> http://hpaa.com/firefox/shadow.htm
>
> (Hoping to show the silliness of insistence that shadows are somehow
> more
> sacrosanct when they fall right and down.)
>
> David Perrell

If you want to see a case in the wild where a light blurry shadow
causes some fairly ugly page overflow, go here:

http://providentcu.org/index.asp?i=news&url=WhatsHotFrames%2FNewsFrames%2FLongTerm%2FHomeBuyingSeminar%2Easp

Then size the window until there are JUST no scroll bars (almost short
enough for scroll bars). Then click on the "Provident News RSS Feed"
link in the upper left quadrant and watch two scroll bars appear.  If
you want and are able, use your track pad or Mighty Mouse or something
to scroll to the right without moving the mouse. You'll see then that
you really aren't missing anything that would warrant scroll bars.