Re: Shadows vs. layout

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Andrew
> Fedoniouk<news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
>> Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>>> Hmm, HTMLayout lets elements jump out of the application's window?
>>> That's... weird.
>> Jumps as in any other UA. tooltips (titles) and drop lists of <select>s for
>> example. Why do you think they are not weird?
>
> Well, first, I had forgotten that <select> and @title and such jump
> out of the window.

And context menus btw...

> Second, that seems like a big security risk.  The current "jumps out
> of the window" items are very strictly controlled, and very distinct.
> Letting arbitrary styleable elements jump out of the window seems
> problematic - it could overlay important things.  That's not an issue
> in an installed program, but in a webpage it may be.

Lifespan of popup elements is very close to menu, dropdown lists and
tooltips, if you click somewhere else they will gone.

Such windows do not have caption or system border, are limited in their
size and position and cannot live without host web page in focus so it
is pretty hard to fool anyone.

I don't think I need to speak about benefits of e.g. styleable popup
menus for web ajaxplications as this is really far from the topic of
initial discussion.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com