On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Brad Kemper<brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Same here. I think that if we are anticipating a future 'border-shadow'
> and/or fuller 'drop-shadow' property, and want to change the current
> 'box-shadow' as little as possible, then we should not try to recreate what
> those future properties would do inside border-image. We should just drop
> the undesirable rectangular rendering of box-shadow on border-images, and
> let the separate, more complete shadowing properties take on the task of
> rendering shadows for images, dashed lines, backgrounds, foreground
> elements, etc.
> I can easily imagine a separate 'drop-shadow' property that has similar
> sytax to box-shadow, and includes another keyword to indicate what it
> applies to (everything, just borders of all styles and kinds, everything but
> contents, just background images, etc.).

Andrew Fedoniouk provided (for a different purpose) an example of a
shadow on what could be a border-image that could probably *not* be
drawn by an automagical algorithm:

http://www.terrainformatica.com/htmlayout/images/tooltip-balloon.jpg

The 'bubbles' emerging from the top-left are part of the top-left of
the image, and so would not have a shadow drawn by the proposed
'intelligent' shadow-drawing algorithms.  It would be drawn by the
stupider algorithm that just automatically treats the whole
border-image as an alpha mask, but that's apparently not desirable for
several examples.