Re: Control over collapsing margins

From: Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:22:43 -0500
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
David Hyatt wrote:
>  These properties exist in WebKit.  I proposed them for
>  standardization back when I implemented them and got a lukewarm
>  response, so never followed up.  I'll propose them again now in case
>  there is more interest.
>
>  -webkit-margin-top-collapse -webkit-margin-bottom-collapse
>
>  Supported values are: collapse - Do the collapse as normal. separate
>  - Don't collapse. discard - Do the collapse and discard the entire
>  result (this is actually how margins in table cells work for many
>  HTML elements in quirks mode).
>
>  dave (hyatt@apple.com)

The ability to suppress margin collapsing is definitely something that
CSS needs. I've run into this problem numerous times when designing or
troubleshooting HTML documents.

That said, I don't see a use case for the |discard| value that /authors/
would use. I'm also not sure that you really need to properties for both
the top and bottom margins; suppressing them altogether via a single
property would probably be enough.

— Patrick Garies