Re: Tabbed Interfaces in CSS

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 25, 2009, at 5:35 PM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> One could introduce a whole new CSS property to describe legend's
>> positioning behavior, but that would mean sorting our how it interacts with
>> existing display/position/float.  One could add a hack where if the position
>> is static and the float is none then you do the current behavior (though
>> there are some interesting questions regarding display still).  That
>> involves defining exactly what one means by "legend" in that case.  Right
>> now in Gecko, the definition is basically "this thing that's out of the
>> fieldeset's flow in this particular special way".
>
> OK, I could see how its more complicated in Gecko than I imagined. But is
> there any reason why it shouldn't become a more mundane inline-block element
> if its position was set to absolute? Or why its width cannot be set by the
> author to something else that would create a more normal width interaction?

In other words, is there any way to set "legend-display:
like-a-freaking-normal-box"?  ^_^  I had to refactor some perfectly
good fieldset/legend code into div/h1 yesterday when it was revealed
that display goes psycho if you try to make the fieldset display:table
and the legend display:table-caption (the most significant problem was
that the fieldset keeps a fit-content width no matter what you do,
under FF 3.09).  I needed the table display to get the rendering the
client expected, so I had to sacrifice a measure of semantics.

~TJ