Re: [css3-layout] New JavaScript implementation for Template Layout Module

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Alexis Deveria <adeveria@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ah, k.  I brought it up, actually, because my reading of the spec
>> suggests that the stretching should *not* occur.  An example or two
>> implies it in the suggested rendering, but it doesn't seem to be
>> expressed anywhere in the actual rules.  I believe they should act in
>> every way like ordinary elements placed into an invisible container.
>
> Ha! I actually just made it stretch in version 1.01 (by simply
> stretching the last element). I don't know how big a difference that
> makes in practice, but for the purpose of using a background it looks
> better to take up the entire slot. An easy thing to change back,
> though.

Take a look over at section 7 of the draft[1] on the ::slot
pseudoelement.  You can put backgrounds directly on the ::slot, which
is even better than trying to stretch an element across the space for
a background.

In order to match the capabilities of ::slot, though, you'll probably
have to actually insert new elements into the DOM.

[1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-css3-layout-20090402/#slot-pseudo

~TJ