Re: Tabbed Interfaces in CSS

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:21:19 -0400
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Brad Kemper wrote:
> Ah, so that's what it is. And I can't seem to override it with my own
> '!important' declarations either, even if I put it in a 'style'
> attribute, so that does seem like a bug in Firefox.

Use of !important rules in a UA sheet is a vendor-specific extension
(the spec never talks about !important rules in UA sheets), but it makes
sense for them to override all other !important rules. I mean... the
same thing could have been put in C++ code with the same effect; the use
of a vendor extension in a UA stylesheet is an implementation detail.

If the real claim is that the particular rendering of <legend> is a bug,
I'd like to see the spec that says so.  Note that the default rendering
required of <legend> for web compat cannot be described via CSS at the
moment, so <legend> doesn't really participate in the CSS box model.
The extent to which UAs paper over this fact in various ways varies, but
the CSS spec doesn't specify anything over those papering-over attempts.

This is the same issue as various other things in form-control land,
like the innards of <select> and so forth.

-Boris