Re: [CSS21] 4.1.3 Characters and case: Number Sign (#) in identifiers

From: James Hopkins <james@idreamincode.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 00:40:28 +0100
Cc: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
On 22 Apr 2009, at 00:22, fantasai wrote:

> James Hopkins wrote:
>> Thanks for the clarification regarding these particular hexadecimal
>> codepoints.
>> Based on your feedback, my conclusion is that 4.1.3 is in this
>> respect is unclear. The current spec states "... [identifiers] can
>> contain only the characters [a-z0-9] and ISO 10646 characters U
>> +00A1 and higher, plus the hyphen (-) and the underscore (_); they
>> cannot start with a digit, or a hyphen followed by a digit.
>> Identifiers can also contain escaped characters and any ISO 10646
>> character as a numeric code ..." If indeed the Number Sign is lower
>> than U+00A1 then how can it be acceptable within in an identifier,
>> without being escaped?
>
> Sounds like a bug in the validator to me.

Like I mentioned in my previous email (sent only a few minutes ago),
if other document languages are able to accept multiple tokens as a
value for the ID attribute, and they can match an ID attribute via the
# notation , then aren't we able to match a subset of ID values, in
the same way we currently can with the class attribute in HTML?