Re: [CSS21] 4.1.3 Characters and case: Number Sign (#) in identifiers

On 20 Apr 2009, at 14:15, Aryeh Gregor wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:57 AM, James Hopkins <james@idreamincode.co.uk
> > wrote:
>> I just wanted to clarify whether the Number Sign (U+0023) is indeed
>> "higher"
>> than the U+00A1 character as the spec suggests, since U+0023
>> doesn't need to
>> be explicitly escaped.
>
> 23 is less than A1 in hexadecimal, so U+0023 is lower than U+00A1, not
> higher.  "Higher" here means "larger codepoint".

Thanks for the clarification regarding these particular hexadecimal
codepoints.

Based on your feedback, my conclusion is that 4.1.3 is in this respect
is unclear. The current spec states "... [identifiers] can contain
only the characters [a-z0-9] and ISO 10646 characters U+00A1 and
higher, plus the hyphen (-) and the underscore (_); they cannot start
with a digit, or a hyphen followed by a digit. Identifiers can also
contain escaped characters and any ISO 10646 character as a numeric
code ..." If indeed the Number Sign is lower than U+00A1 then how can
it be acceptable within in an identifier, without being escaped?