Re: Tabbed Interfaces in CSS

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:30:23 -0500
To: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>
Cc: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Giovanni Campagna
<scampa.giovanni@gmail.com> wrote:
> Uhm... we currently have behavioural extensions to CSS, we could
> define some "default behaviours" (the same as HTML5 does for form
> inputs) and drop all this mess of display:tab, display:card,
> display:stack, card-stack, :checked on everything (and no way to
> define when checked or not checked)
> Using that, you just use
>
> binding: url(about:binding?type=card&stack-name=mystack);
>
> on the cards, and
>
> binding: url(about:binding?type=tab);
>
> on the tabs
>
> Simple, elegant, and working on current browser (Gecko / Trident based only)

That's another general-purpose language that interfaces well with CSS
and handles this sort of thing more elegantly.  Add in a bit of XBL2
to rearrange the shadow DOM so that you can pull tabs from within the
card to outside and style them appropriately, and you're golden.

I still think this case can be addressed decently by CSS itself in a
fairly simple manner, but we have technologies for doing this in more
complex (and complete) ways as well.