Re: Tabbed Interfaces in CSS

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:52:15 -0500
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
Cc: Giovanni Campagna <scampa.giovanni@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
> And actually, the more I think about it, the more appropriate I believe it
> is to have the "tab" near or within the "card" it is associated with. You
> have to consider that without styling the HTML should still make sense, and
> it doesn't so much if all the labels for each card are separated from the
> blocks representing the cards.

I agree *if* a pure-CSS interaction is used.  In that case the older
display:stack/card/tab solution is best, because it degrades to a
perfectly normal page.

If tabs can be separated from cards in the markup, then I think the
mechanism *has* to be link-target-based, so that it degrades into
links to the appropriate section on the page, which is still sensical
and somewhat useful.

(Andrew, Giovanni, I'm getting to emails for you.)