Re: [CSS21] 4.1.3 Characters and case: Number Sign (#) in identifiers

From: Thomas Phinney <tphinney@cal.berkeley.edu>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:30:36 -0700
To: James Hopkins <james@idreamincode.co.uk>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 6:29 PM, James Hopkins <james@idreamincode.co.uk> wrote:
> I am new to understanding character encoding and would like to clarify an
> aspect of the CSS 2.1 spec relating specifically to character entities in
> CSS identifiers.
>
> The spec mentions, amongst other things, "Unicode/ISO 10646 characters
> U+00A1 and higher are allowed...", presumably without the need to be
> explicitly escaped. First of all, it's unclear to me exactly what "higher"
> refers to exactly; I suspect that it's referring to the Latin Supplement
> block (U+00A1 to U+00FF).

I would have assumed that it means exactly what it says, and that ANY
Unicode "characters U+00A1 and higher are allowed...." That includes
pretty much every language on the planet (Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, you
name it), and also includes characters beyond the basic double-byte
portion of Unicode, such as Byzantine musical symbols.

Is there something else in the wording that causes you to assume an
arbitrary ceiling of U+00FF?

Cheers,