Re: [Backgrounds/Borders] What to do when a border-image fails to load

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:37:39 -0700
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Brad Kemper wrote:

> With 'background-size', it is most useful for percentage size to refer
> to percentage of its container. But with 'border-image' it is most
> useful, IMO, for percentage size to refer to percentage of its intrinsic
> size, due in part to the extra benefits it confers upon raster images.

Because border-image isn't already using percentages for something
more useful doesn't mean we should use its percentages to solve
this problem.

> Regardless, scaling images for the border will be useful, its just a
> matter of which is more useful for what percentage should refer to, and
> I think it is more useful and intuitive for sizing according to
> intrinsic size. Even for vector images, I think it would be good to be
> able to look at the results and be able to say something like, "oh,
> that's too big; let's make it three fourths that size", without having
> to multiply the border-width by .75. If my border-width is 3px, I would
> rather write 75% in that situation than 2.25 (especially if I wanted to
> later adjust the fallback border-width without changing the border-image
> sizes, which seems like what might not be an uncommon desire).

You could use lengths for this. Again, this use case is equally valid
for backgrounds and list-style-image. If we're going to solve it, we
should solve it with an approach that is applicable to all three.

~fantasai