RE: [css3-page][css-multicol] break at odd, even and empty pages

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:52:39 +0000
To: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>, CSS 3 W3C Group <www-style@w3.org>
Christoph said:
> 1. Should there be a way to control whether two consecutive
> empty pages (-) generated by 'left' and 'right' are
> collapsed? I assume [-|-] should never happen (if not
> explicitly requested), but could someone want to avoid [a|-][-|b]?

css3-page<http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-page> specifies that no more than one page (as needed to get to a right or left page) is left empty by page breaking operations.  (See 'content-empty page'.)

That seems the most desirable default behavior, so if we add 'odd', 'even', 'recto', and 'verso', that behavior should extend to those values as well, IMO.  We may need to add additional controls in the future to allow a series of blank pages, but I haven't heard strong use cases elucidated for that yet.

Best wishes,

Melinda