Re: [CSS3] Flexible Flow Module, proposal.

David Hyatt wrote:
> Another issue I have with flex units on margins and padding is that you
> will end up wanting to be able to:
>
> (a) specify a preferred value
> (b) specify a minimum value
> (c) specify a maximum value (?)
>
> For example, I can see cases where I'd want to allow padding to flex,
> but I wouldn't want you to be able to eliminate it entirely.  Without
> min-padding and max-padding values, you have to come up with a way to
> specify this stuff.  It seems like (a) and (b) are more likely to be
> desired than (c), so one option might be to say that specifying an
> explicit value in the unit (similar to what I proposed for width in my
>
> For example:
>
> padding: (2px)*
>
> could indicate that the padding will start off at 2px, cannot shrink
> below 2px, and can flex up without bound.  In effect the unit specified
> in parentheses sets both a minimum and preferred value.

Well, for two (collapsed) margins you can specify two values: one is
flex and another one is fixed. The latter one will serve a role of min
constraint. For widths/heights we do have min/max counterparts already.

For paddings, indeed, there are no such things.

I would rather go with 'padding-min' attributes for that purposes.
If it is needed only for paddings. We did not see cases so far where
this is needed though.

> It's not clear to me what it would mean to specify flex units in
> min-width or max-width (or min-height/max-height).  Maybe that would
> just be disallowed?

Flexes are not supported in min-width or max-width. They should
evaluate to their initial values if given in flexes.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com