Re: [CSS3] Flexible Flow Module, proposal.

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 17:36:03 -0500
Cc: Andrew Fedoniouk <news@terrainformatica.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
To: robert@ocallahan.org
On Apr 12, 2009, at 5:19 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:

> That is not what I was asking for.
>
> Suppose I have elements A and B with intrinsic widths 100px and
> 200px respectively. Suppose the container has width 400px, and I
> want the extra space to be distributed equally to A and B, so they
> end up with widths 150px and 250px. Your proposal has no way to do
> this as far as I can tell, nor is it possible by setting min-widths
> or max-widths.
>
> This is actually the default behaviour for XUL boxes, so it seems
> important to me that any flex-box-like spec be able to do it.

Yeah, I just brought this up in my last message as well.  The only way
I can see to solve this for flex units is to actually specify both
values, e.g.,

width: (100px)1*

or something like that....

Flex units are attractive though to me, since if we could make them
work we can eliminate box-flex, box-pack and box-align.

dave
(hyatt@apple.com)