Re: [css3-multicol] page-break-inside and columns

From: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 15:10:09 +0900
To: "Grant, Melinda" <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
"Grant, Melinda" <melinda.grant@hp.com> wrote on 2009/04/10 12:18:34

> TJ said:
> > At the moment, all of the options that have been brought up
> > form a strict hierarchy.  If you allow page breaks, you
> > automatically allow facing-page breaks and column breaks.  If
> > you allow facing-page breaks (but avoid other page breaks),
> > you automatically allow column breaks.
> > It doesn't make sense, frex, to avoid column breaks but allow
> > page breaks, as a page-break is automatically a column-break as well.
> >
> > So, at the moment, we don't need to support multiple flags.
> > I have no idea if there's a useful break mode that doesn't
> > fit into this strict hierarchy.  Can you think of any?
>
> Assuming something like the following for overloading page-breaking to handle column-breaking:
> page-break-before
>      auto | column | always | right | left | avoid | avoid-page | avoid-right | avoid-left
>
> page-break-after
>      auto | column | always | right | left | avoid | avoid-page | avoid-right | avoid-left
>
> page-break-inside
>      auto | avoid | avoid-page | avoid-right | avoid-left
>
> (...avoid-right and avoid-left could be replaced by avoid-turn...)

I think avoid-turn is better than avoid-right and avoid-left.
'avoid-facing' (allow-turn) may be needed but I don't know a use case.

'right' and 'left' values are dependent on writing direction -- Middle
Eastern and most Japanese books have right-to-left page order.

I want 'odd-page' and 'even-page' (or simply 'odd' and 'even') instead
of 'right' and 'left' values.
(XSL-FO's break-before and break-after properties have these values.
http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#break-after)

--
Shinyu Murakami
http://www.antennahouse.com