Re: [css3-multicol] page-break-inside and columns

From: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:29:06 +0900
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
"Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote on 2009/04/10 4:53:03
> In avoidance terms, you have, in increasing order of strictness: auto,
> avoid-turn, avoid-page, avoid-column, avoid-all.  At the moment
> avoid-all is identical with avoid-column, because there are only three
> types of break opportunities we've current identified, and
> avoid-column implies the other two, but it may in the future change.

Now I'm ok with these values. I thought that the value 'avoid' should mean
avoid-all and the avoid-all and avoid-column were not needed. But when I
tested some existing CSS multicol implementations, I found there are
compatibility problem with the value 'avoid':

Mozilla and Webkit's page-break-*:avoid means avoid-page.
Prince and Antenna House's page-break-*:avoid means avoid-all (or
avoid-column).
I tested this with the attached sample.

FYI, XSL-FO [1] has page-break-* properties derived from CSS2 as
shorthand mapped to XSL-FO's break-* and keep-* properties. The value
'avoid' is mapped to keep-* property value 'always' that avoids breaks
both within page and within column.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl11/#page-break-after

--
Shinyu Murakami