Re: [css3-multicol] page-break-inside and columns

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

>>> My main concern here is that /usually/, you want to set both
>>> page-break-* and column-break-* to the same thing.
>> I disagree.  Can you say on what basis you arrived at this
>> conclusion, please ?
>
> I can't answer for Elika, but it seems true to me.  If you want to
> avoid a break in an element, *generally* you want to avoid it
> unilaterally.

Again, this seems to be an over-generalism to me, so once
I again I appeal for information as to the basis on which you
reach your conclusion.  Let me say that I accept the hierarchical
nature of breaking : if I want to avoid column breaks, then
(almost) "of course" I want to avoid page breaks.  But I cannot
accept the converse at all.  If I want to avoid page breaks,
then presumably the reason is to avoid some part of the text
being invisible when looking at another part.  But columns do
not cause invisibility, and hence I see the demand for
inhibiting column breaks as being far rarer than the demand
for inhibiting page breaks.

Incidentally, all of the preceding is in the context of
"avoid-inside", not in the context of "avoid-between",
which is an entirely different kettle of fish.  I do
wonder if whether this contextual difference lies at
the heart of this disagreement : are some (yourself, Fantasai)
thinking primarily in terms of "avoid-between", whereas
I am thinking primarily in terms of "avoid-inside" ?

Philip TAYLOR