Re: [css3-multicol] page-break-inside and columns

From: MURAKAMI Shinyu <murakami@antenna.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 17:18:11 +0900
To: Hakon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Cc: CSS <www-style@w3.org>
Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com> wrote on 2009/04/03 0:31:30
> Also sprach Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd):
>
>  > > I think it's a common scenario that authors don't want elements to
>  > > break. No?
>  >
>  > To break across pages : yes; to break across columns ?
>  > I am far less convinced.
>
> If you are right, we have a simple solution to the problem at hand: we
> simply say that 'page-break-inside' only affect page breaks, not
> column breaks.
>
> Any opposing voices?

I think the 'avoid' value should have same meaning between
page-break-before/after/inside properties.

For example,
  h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
    page-break-after: avoid;
  }

I think this should avoid not only page breaks but also column breaks
because in most cases the headings should not appear at bottom of a
column. So 'page-break-inside: avoid' should avoid column breaks too.

I want a new value to avoid only page breaks allowing column breaks
for these properties: 'allow-column'.

page-break-before, page-break-after
Value: auto | always | avoid | left | right | column | allow-column

page-break-inside
Value: auto | avoid | allow-column

The 'column' means forcing column breaks and the 'allow-column' means
allowing column breaks but avoiding page breaks.

--
Shinyu Murakami
http://www.antennahouse.com