Re: [css3-multicol] page-break-inside and columns

From: Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2009 18:57:21 +0100
To: Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>
CC: CSS <www-style@w3.org>

Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> I think Melinda alluded to it earlier. If you have a picture
> followed by an explanatory paragraph, it would be highly desirable
> to keep them together i.e. no page or column break between the picture
> and the text. Otherwise, you could end up with your figure at the bottom
> of a column and the related paragraph at the top of the next one e.g. starting with
> "In the graph above...". Much worse if there is a page break, of course.
>
> So I would expect the author to instruct the formatter to attempt to keep them together with no breaks.

I can see this, but I think that there is an important
difference between avoiding a break /between/ (say) an
image and (the start of) some text, and avoiding a
break /within/ the text.  Hakon explicit said :

> I think it's a common scenario that authors don't want elements to
> break. No?

and I was interpreting this quite strictly : no breaking
/within/ elements; I think that the scenario you are
postulating is the avoidance of a break /between/ elements,
is it not ?

** Phil.