RE: [css3-multicol] page-break-inside and columns

The way I understand the meaning of "avoid" is that it in fact "try to avoid", not "forbidden".

In case of something with "page-break-inside:avoid" being potentially broken across pages, and across columns within page, I would expect the following order of layout attempts to stisfy the restriction
1) layout the element at current position in flow. If I fits in current column, done
2) start the element at the start of next column (unless already at the start of a column). If it fits in current page, done
3) start the element at the start of next page (unless already at the start of a page).

In other words, you can try layout at different columns and/or pages, applying penalty of one per column break, plus one per page break, then minimize number of breaks that could not be avoided.

So it sounds like the thread leads to use cases for separate page and column 'avoid':

'avoid' -- avoid column and page breaks as much as possible

Xxxxx |       # Aaaaa | aaaaa #
xxxxx |       # aaaaa |       #
      |       # aaaaa |       #

'avoid-column' -- avoid column breaks; page breaks are not more important than other column breaks

Xxxxx | Aaaaa # aaaaa |       #
xxxxx | aaaaa #       |       #
      | aaaaa #       |       #

'avoid-page' -- avoid page breaks; allow column breaks within page

Xxxxx | aaaaa #       |       #
xxxxx | aaaaa #       |       #
Aaaaa | aaaaa #       |       #

Xxxxx | Aaaaa # aaaaa |       #
xxxxx | aaaaa # aaaaa |       #
      | aaaaa #       |       #

I am not sure what it would mean for implementation if it was required to support all of the above. It is more complicated but we'll have to see if it would make significant difference for performance.