RE: [css3-multicol] page-break-inside and columns

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 03:36:53 +0000
To: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>

Philip said:

> Well, trying to come up with a "use case" for the opposite
> scenario (both page /and/ column breaks to be avoided), then
> the best I can manage is the following :

> 	<h2>The infamous "line"</h2>
> 		French book at the appropriate time ...
>
> Now what I would /like/ to specify is that the <H2> and at
> least two lines of the opening para. must occur on the same
> page, and that the first two lines of the para.
> must not be split across column boundaries,

How about:
 h2	{ page-break-after: avoid;}
 h2 + p { orphans: 2;}
That should keep the h2 and the p on the same page, and would ensure at least two lines of the p would appear before either a page or column break, right?

Wrt the use case for avoiding both page and column breaks, there are many:
	o don't break after a heading
	o don't break between an image and its annotation
	o avoid breaking inside a table
	o etc...

Best wishes,

Melinda