Re: [css3-multicol] page-break-inside and columns

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 16:33:07 +0200
To: Michael Jansson <mjan@em2-solutions.com>
Cc: (wrong string) åkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>, www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Michael Jansson:

 > My vote would be on not introducing additional properties for columns
 > breaks, from an implementation/performance perspective.

Right.

 > From a html/css
 > author point of view, I would prefer to not mix up column and pages as
 > it makes it unclear how to use the property.

I can see that, too.

 > How about mixing it up in
 > the values instead, so instead of having
 >     "page-break-<whatever>:<value>" and
 >     "column-break-<whatever>:<value>"
 > we would have
 >     "break-<whatever>:<page-value>|<column-value>".
 > For example: "break-inside: page", "break-inside:column",
 > "break-inside:any", "break-inside:none", etc.

I can see the benefit of only having one set of properties, and that
the names of these properties are neutral. However, I don't really
understand what 'break-inside: page' means. Force page breaks inside
the elements? Prohibit them? Allow them?

XSL has the 'keep-together' property with some varitions:

  keep-together.within-line="always"
  keep-together.within-colums="always"
  keep-together.within-page="always"

  http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/#keepbreak