Re: [css3-multicol] page-break-inside and columns

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 13:35:00 +0200
To: Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Philip TAYLOR:

 > Thank you for the clarification, Håkon, but I suspect that
 > I must be misunderstanding the CSS3 Multicol specification
 > if I arrive at a significantly different conclusion to
 > Fantasai et al, yet looking at the specification itself :
 >
 > 	http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/#the-multi-column
 >
 > it appears that it says what I believed it to say -- that is,
 > that continuous text is subdivided into columns as a part of
 > the column-building process.  If, therefore, I would like

 > 	Would that I had not forgotten to bring my French book
 > 	at the appropriate time, my benevolent and much-respected
 > 	French master (whom I view with feelings of the deepest
 > 	affection) need not have awarded me this short and trifling
 > 	imposition by way of a reminder.
 >
 > to be presented in three columns, breaking the text wherever
 > necessary to balance the columns as best it can, yet keeping
 > all the text on a single page, then surely I would want
 > to specify "page-break-inside: avoid" for the <div> that wraps
 > the text.  But if "page-break-inside: avoid" were to imply
 > "*column-break-inside: avoid", as you proposed in your e-mail
 > that started this thread, then the text could not be broken
 > into the three columns as desired.
 >
 > Could you please explain wherein lies my misconception ?

You have just stated the use case for having two keywords: sometimes
-- as you state above -- you just want to avoid page breaks, other
times you want to avoid both page and column breaks.

In your case you would say:

  p { page-break-inside: avoid }

In the second case you would say:

  p { page-break-inside: avoid-all }

Or, we would re-introduce the column-* property/ies and say:

  p {
   page-break-inside: avoid;
   column-break-inside: avoid
  }