Re: standardization of IE's conditional comments

Gabriele Romanato wrote:
> IE's conditional comments are a standard de facto, since they're widely
> used by authors and provide a good interoperability with this UA.
> My proposal is to extend CC also to other UA.

Conditional comments are a Trident-specific feature for text/html and
serving different styles is not their only use.

Their standardization would be a matter for the HTML WG and (perhaps)
the XHTML2 WG to consider, not the CSS WG. I suggest you redirect your
proposal to them, including a use-case in terms of the author and user
problems you're trying to solve and an evaluation of different
alternatives for meeting that use-case.

/If/ we want a standard way to explicitly target particular engines or
user agents (rather than allowing degradation or using hacks) - and
that's an idea that has a lot of opposition - I think a variant of the
@ua and @media ideas discussed in this list over the past year would be
infinitely preferable to expanding the use of comments as code.

See the following threads for previous discussion:

"Proposal of @ua" thread (October-December 2007):
http://preview.tinyurl.com/4vubxt

"@media and browsers conditional statments" thread (August 2008):
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3z6es4