Re: [Css Variables] Variable Declaration Blocks

From: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 03:33:36 -0500
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: Mike Wilson <mikewse@hotmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org List" <www-style@w3.org>

On Sep 25, 2008, at 3:21 AM, David Hyatt wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2008, at 3:10 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 08:12:22 +0200, Mike Wilson
>> <mikewse@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> The discussion in the meeting notes
>>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Sep/0075.html
>>> was kind of brief regarding some of the technical problems with the
>>> original CSS Vars suggestion.
>>
>> Well, the CSSOM problem is significant.

http://fantasai.inkedblade.net/style/specs/constants/

Notice how the above proposal has to worry about having @import
constants" to deal with loading problems created by parse time
resolution.  That hardly seems simpler to me.  Variables as Daniel and
I specified them can remain unresolved until you end up using those
rules in a specific medium.  This "global soup" approach is simple and
intuitive for authors, since the variable names always cross
stylesheet boundaries (without ever having to delay the parsing of a
sheet because another sheet hasn't loaded yet), and the last rule
specified in the sheet order wins.

dave