RE: New tests for web fonts

I've been significantly reworking the webfonts test pages, and will try to publish formally with a results page soon.  You can see the new version at the same place:

http://www.w3.org/International/tests/test-webfonts-1

http://www.w3.org/International/tests/test-webfonts-2

I also retested, adding Chrome to the list, and came up with the following results:  (all tests on Windows XP using Uniscribe v1.626.5756.0 and only latest official versions reported here, except for IE8)

Firefox 3.0.1:
font-linking: no support
EOT: no support
Installed font text: perfect result

Google Chrome beta:
font-linking: no support
EOT: no support
Installed font text: perfect result (cf. Safari, since Chrome is also based on WebKit)

Safari 3.1.2:
font-linking: Georgian and Armenian, supports fine (though Georgian text looks a little bolder); Khmer, blank space; Hindi, no support, and a difference between the result for the downloaded font (blank space) and the system default (correctly rendered text); Arabic, same as Hindi; Urdu, blank space; Thai, Tibetan & Myanmar, blank space (though system default shows fonts)
EOT: no support
Installed font text: Georgian, Armenian, Hindi, Thai, Tibetan & Myanmar perfect; Khmer, a slightly higher placement of the vowel sign diacritic above the base character when using the Battambang font (not the Mool font), but otherwise fine; Arabic, in Arabic Typesetting font only, misaligned contextual join between first two characters of penultimate word, and in both fonts diacritics slightly too high, though correctly placed relative to each other; Urdu, blank space, though system default font looks ok;

Opera 9.51:
font-linking: no support
EOT: no support
Installed font text: perfect result

IE7:
font-linking: no support
EOT: Georgian, Armenian, Hindi, Thai, Tibetan & Myanmar perfect; Khmer, fine except that KHMER VOWEL SIGN AA, KHMER VOWEL SIGN OO and KHMER SIGN YUUKALEAPINTU are completely missing in the Battambang font and rendered as square boxes in the Mool font (note that these are spacing combining marks); Arabic, many characters are missing, and the two fonts yield slightly different results; Urdu, only alephs are produced, all other characters missing;
Installed font text: perfect result

IE8 beta2:
font-linking: no support
EOT: no support

Once again, if you are interested in sending me results of tests you have run yourselves, please  send me screen snaps and the following info: OS, UA version, Uniscribe/Pango/ATSUI/etc version.

Things I noted in particular:
Chrome doesn't support font-linking, unlike Safari, though Safari only manages to render the text doesn't contain OT features. On the other hand, Safari produces the installed font text mostly ok (with the marked exception of Urdu), so this is down to the downloading. Unlike Safari, Chrome reproduces the installed font text perfectly.
IE7 has  problem with spacing combining marks in Khmer, but not Hindi, and makes a complete mess of any Arabic-based script.
IE8 beta2 still doesn't support EOT :(

Again, please point out to me any silly mistakes, or serious ones, before I go public with this. Thanks.

RI

Richard Ishida
Internationalization Lead
W3C (World Wide Web Consortium)