Rf. : Re: [css3-gcpm] float: footnote

From: Hkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:22:05 +0200
To: leslie.brown@evidian.com
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

Also sprach leslie.brown@evidian.com:

 > > What would you like that footnote to look like on a web page?
 >
 > Pop it up when I hover the mouse over the footnote cue.

Right, this makes sense. It's not a footnote, but it's a perfectly
reasonable presentation of related information. The disucssion we
should be having is how to create popups in CSS.

Example XX in the current draft borrows some markup from the HTML5
specification:

   Sorry, <span title="This is, of course, a lie.">we're closing for lunch</span>.

Which, in most browsers, will result in a popup of some kind. So, it
is doable today. To create a more general solution that also works for
XML, perhaps we should have a way of saying "treat this text as a
title attribute" in CSS.

-h&kon
              Hkon Wium Lie                          CTO e